Renata’s Super Fast Party Hummus2016-03-21
- Skill Level: Beginner
- Yield : 4 C finished hummus
- Servings : 12
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 10m
You need a large food processor if you want to whip this up fast.
Sometimes I make a fancier version with organic dried chick peas, and that is great too!
But when time and money evaporate, this dish feeds the gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and omnivorous masses.
It looks GREAT centered on a plain old tray or very large platter, with veggies and/or chips circling it like a wreath.
I like to plonk my garlic clove into a bowl of hot water for a minute, especially for a crowd. If it was just me, I can handle and often love the powerful punch of raw garlic…up to 2 cloves!
But crowd raw garlic feeding can be tricky. You can never be sure what the lowest common denominator will be. Better to let your feisty friends crave a bit more. Don’t want to blow the head off a delicate friend!
Even with veggies and chips, this entire platter should feed a huge crowd for less than $10.
Also great to make the night before!
- 1 jumbo can drained & rinsed (29 oz or thereabouts) chick peas (garbanzo, ceci, cece, chana)
- RESERVE 5-7 CHICK PEAS FOR PRESENTATION
- 1/3 C pure sesame seed spread (Maranatha does a great one...or just use any brand tahini)
- 1/2 large clove garlic dropped in cup of boiled water for a moment to take the zing out
- 1 whole lemon juiced
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil, plus a drizzle for presentation
- 1 small hand full chopped cilantro
- 3-4 twists freshly ground sea salt
- 2-3 twists freshly ground black pepper
In a large food processor place chick peas, sesame seed paste (or tahini), garlic, lemon juice, olive oil & salt and blitz 30 seconds. If it's a little thick, add a teaspoon of water at a time and keep blitzing until it's as smooth and creamy as you like it.
Taste for the amount of salt, lemon or pepper you like.
When your eyes roll in the back of your head, it's ready to serve.
Pile onto a festive bowl and scatter reserved whole chickpeas across top. Zig-zag a drizzle of olive oil across the surface. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves and a twist of salt and pepper for the finish.
Beautiful served with chopped, seasonal, colorful raw veggies and/or blue tortilla chips.