Friends & Family Friday: Adaptable Vegan/Meat Eaters Dish
This is a great recipe that will make your house smell divine as the aroma of garlic, dijon mustard, white wine and sausage/vegan sausage fill the air. To adapt this recipe to vegan, simply use any vegan half-n-half you can find at most grocery stores, and crumble a good vegan sausage like Field Roast Italian Sausage which is available at Target.
Vegans may also appreciate the addition of a handful of halved cherry tomatoes, or a cup of small chopped steamed broccoli or cauliflower florets.
You can also visit Field Roast here to find out other types of vegan sausages they provide.
If you want to use pork sausage, I have two good recommendations.
Enzo’s Restaurant is our great family restaurant which is now run by my darling nephew, Kyle Hallberg. Kyle has grown the family catering side of the business and caters large events at companies, churches and more. He would be happy to send you some of Enzo’s hand-ground sausage our family has made since the 1950s using the same family recipe that has kept the company so well-known that Enzo’s now sends catering anywhere across the country. Tell them Renata sent you. Here is the link!
At our last event, I whipped up my own vegan sausages from scratch, and we served them side-by-side with Enzo’s pork sausages. The toppings and breads were all unified, and everyone was happy!
For this Heavenly Penne with Creamy Dijon Sausage sauce, you could have a similar success feeding vegans and omnivores alike. Here are my suggestions for that task.
- Cook 2 pounds of penne–one for meat & one for vegan.
- Cook 2 pans of meat sauce–one with vegan sausage/vegan creamer & one for pork sausage and dairy creamer.
- You can cook the sauces ahead of time and toss through at mealtime for buffet presentation.
- Use Bragg’s Nutritional Yeas to top the vegan pasta, and parmesan cheese to top the meat pasta.
- Vegans may also appreciate the addition of a handful of halved cherry tomatoes, or a cup of small chopped steamed broccoli or cauliflower florets.
- Have fun asking one of your vegan guests and one of your omnivores to write the name of their preferred pasta on the card.
The Bible says that Christians are the salt of the earth and the light of the world. On the job, in the grocery store, even among unsaved friends and family members. God’s people are there to bring seasoning to an unsavory situation.